Saturday, September 19, 2015

A city that makes you feel at ease



By Alicia Yip

I am Alicia Yip, a Montessori teacher who works with children in their early years. I am a Malaysian and this is my third year working in China. I previously lived and taught in Chongqing, about two hours from Chengdu by bullet train.

Living and working abroad can be challenging when dealing with a new culture. It is truly an adventure despite the fact that I am able to communicate in Mandarin. Each region is different and has unique features that appeal to foreigners.

My first impression about Xiamen upon arrival at the airport was positive. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the airport (and even the restrooms). To my surprise, the city was cleaner than Chongqing. People are nice and friendly and they speak in a gentle voice.

One thing I discovered is that some of the older folks here speak Minnanhua, which is widely spoken in my hometown of Penang, Malaysia. Some of the slang is different but I am able to understand the message. I feel so at ease where this dialect is spoken.

I’ve explored some tourist spots such as Zhongshan Street, SM Mall, the Ring Road, the Xiamen Museum, Nanputuo Temple and the Cultural Creativity Leisure Village. I have yet to explore many of the beautiful places here. I hope that when time permits I am able to visit more of the cultural and historical sites that reveal the richness of the city and the many aspects that attract so many foreigners to live and work in this vibrant city. 

(the article will be featured in Xiamen Daily)


No comments:

Post a Comment